I think so anyway.
Yesterday I was supposed to go into Seattle because my six year old son had an appointment at the Neuro/Developmental clinic of the SCH. The day before (Tuesday for those of you keeping track) my son and I had been at his regular speech appointment with his therapist. She is mostly gluten free and offered us gluten free blackberry walnut bars. I didn’t think about it any further until that night when my husband was giving our son a shower and saw that Finn had a rash and was itching in patches (his usual reaction within 8 hours of ingesting gluten). I rushed him a Benadryl and he was asleep in 20 minutes.
Now Wednesday was a busy day in my house. My husband had a training class at a base over an hour away and had to be on base (and therefore up) much earlier than usual. Since he had to head off the island also; I made plans to go into Seattle with my friend Jamie, her one year old daughter, my 15 year old daughter and of course my son. My husband and I were both up at 5:45 AM and I was immediately in the bathroom. By 10 minutes til 8 AM, I was sweaty, nauseous, dizzy and had been in the bathroom five times. I was barely able to walk down my stairs, let alone make the two plus hour drive to Seattle and ask intelligent questions about my son’s speech delay. So it was with a great deal of disappointment that we rescheduled our trip for next week.
Now my friend Jamie that I was going with is a diagnosed celiac and we also had planned to celebrate her birthday while we were down in the city. Finn’s speech therapist (who is a lovely woman and I totally don’t blame for glutening us. There’s no way she could have known our cross contamination response was so strong and I have apparently got to start really cracking down on that factor) recommended a gluten free/vegan bakery and restaurant in Seattle called the Flying Apron; so I was going to take Jamie there after Finn’s appointment. We were all pretty bummed about getting up early and putting all this planning into a trip that we ended up postponing. Especially my poor friend Jamie who’s husband is deployed right now and she’s home with a one year old. She was really looking forward to the adventure and time with adult conversation.
So Jamie is recommending to me that when I come back from my Vegas trip (thirteen days, Tami!), I talk with my doctor about getting my celiac test. Now I’ve resisted getting tested since it seems silly to me. I mean the treatment for celiac disease is lifetime compliance to a gluten free diet which seems redundant since I already am gluten free and to find out definitively if I have celiac disease I’d have to STOP doing that. After A’s experience trying to eat gluten again for her test I was even more like “See, see, that’s a bad idea.” But now I’m mulling it over again and here are the reasons why:
1) If I actually have celiac disease its hereditary. Although my kids both know why gluten is bad for them and won’t eat it, they should know their complete family medical history.
2) If my gluten intolerance is actually celiac disease I need to reevaluate my position on cross contamination for myself and my kids. I’m not 100% militant about avoiding it and have so far avoided replacing all my kitchen items, which I would need to do if I am a celiac.
3)I would have to reconsider my current housing as it shares vents with my neighbors (townhouses, bah). I could be perfectly gluten free in my home and still breathe it anytime my next door neighbor bakes. But if I do have celiac disease it would be a valid reason for housing to move me to a separate house. However the flip side of that would mean moving which is far from my favorite activity but it would also mean not sharing walls with neighbors either which I would love. So I’m a little torn there.
4) If I am a diagnosed celiac I am automatically guaranteed a Medical M licence in the state of WA if I want to get one, so there’s that too. lol
So as I’m sitting here writing this it feels like a shooting pain in stabbing me low in the guts under my belly button and I’m thinking that choosing the test means choosing approximately six weeks of feeling like this, on purpose. That seems awful masochistic even for me and I’m worried about how my family would fare with me at best operating way below optimum and at worst completely out of commission for that whole time. I mean I love them with all my heart but I have some trepidation about leaving them alone for six days while I’m Vegas. I can’t imagine how they’d do with me useless for a month or so.
I keep vacillating on this and I was really hoping writing about it would help me decide but I’m as up in the air about it as I have been. Even if I do decide to do it it wouldn’t be til after I got back from Vegas and winter would at least be a great time to do it since its kinda miserable here anyway and I wouldn’t miss much. I don’t know yet but I’ll keep you posted on my thoughts and I welcome feedback on the idea.